Sunday, June 30, 2019

First Love


Dear Elizabeth

Please read this with all your care.

There's nothing unpleasant in it, only two questions at the end only you in all the world can answer. They come from a time when your life had not really begun. Or mine.
 
I took you to the opera at Sadler's Wells. Carmen.
 
It was in 19--, in February, I'm sure it was.
 
I remember scattered fragments from the evening, five or six moments like old black and white photographs kept in a drawer over a lifetime.
 
Can you remember? Do you remember me, Paul Whelan? If you do, you must remember we never met or ever talked again.
 
I've always wondered. Was I of any interest to you at all? And if I wasn't then, could you perhaps have become interested if I'd tried?
 
Forever those questions. Please don't think you have to be polite or tactful. Take your time.
 
If you are able to say and don't mind my asking, please tell me now.
 
Best wishes.
 
 

No comments: